September 4, 2011
8:00 AM | Edit Post
On my second day of hosting the Wolfie World Tour Viv has an excerpt for us from BLACK GOLD. When I read the excerpt I was thrilled because my favorite Wolfie makes an appearance: TJ! I hope you'll all enjoy the excerpt and don't forget that any comment on the Wolfie World Tour posts will be included in the draw for the Grand prize of a $50 gift certificate to a bookstore of your choice. Also, check out Vivian's Blog for the daily Friends of the Wolfies contest!
The Wolfie World Tour continues tomorrow and Tuesday at Stella's Blog: Ex Libris, so hop on over to Hungary and make sure you comment there too as every comment goes towards that Grand Prize draw for the $50 gift certificate!
One thing’s for sure: his dream mate will have to out-cuss, out-spit and out-hike him. So he never expected the one to push his forever button would be a blue-blooded Southern debutante with a voice as dark and velvety as her skin.
When Gemmita Jacobs steps off the plane in Whitehorse, Yukon, it’s about more than her research project. It’s her declaration of independence from an overprotected upbringing. Except there’s something in the air she can’t quite define—something that unexpectedly rouses her mating instincts.
Moments after their eyes lock, the deed is done—and done thoroughly. When the pheromone dust settles, though, all the reasons they don’t belong together become painfully clear.
It’s enough to make a wolf learn a whole new set of cuss words…
Warning: Two strong wolves getting exactly what they deserve. Includes wilderness nookie, shifters being naughty in public places, the Midnight Sun as a canopy for seduction and grizzly shifters on the loose. Oh, and don’t forget the sarcasm.
And now for the excerpt:
Shaun spun his spoon between his fingers. Played with his coffee cup. Leaned back in his chair and rocked it precariously on two feet. He’d dressed and paced the room until Gem had basically ordered him to wait in the restaurant for her. It was either follow directions or break down the bathroom door, which she’d locked on him, and since he didn’t think Evan would appreciate him smashing up the hotel, he’d taken his reluctant carcass away and left his mate alone.
As he sat pondering his future, he didn’t know if he should run and hide, or go buy flowers.
“Careful. You break the chair, Evan will charge you to replace it. At least he always charges me.”
A familiar teasing grin poked into Shaun’s line of vision, and he caught himself a split second before tipping over onto his ass.
“TJ, what’re you doing here?”
The lanky young man grabbed the chair next to him, pivoted it to face backwards, and sat, straddling the seat. “Pam’s coming home today for a two-week stint. I’m picking her up at the airport, then we’re doing the four-hour drive back to Haines. Granite Lake pack is holding a celebratory…”
He sniffed the air, and his eyes grew wide.
Oh shit. TJ had the best nose in the north. Shaun figured Gem’s scent was all over him, and not only as a female he’d spent the night with for a bit of slap and tickle. He held up a hand. “I don’t want to hear it.”
As usual TJ ignored him. “Holy cow. Do I smell what I think I smell?”
“Shut it.” Just what he didn’t need. Love advice from someone nearly ten years his junior who until last year was best known for causing natural disasters everywhere he went. Didn’t matter that he and TJ belonged to different packs, there was enough history between them Shaun should have been eager to share his news, but no. Fucking. Way.
His friend paused for a moment then shrugged. “Okay.”
TJ motioned for the waitress, and she zipped over to pour him a coffee and top up Shaun’s.
It was the coward’s path. Shaun took an extra long time adding sugar and cream to his cup in an attempt to avoid having to talk. To justify why he was sitting here by himself when it would be clear to any wolf in the area that he had just found his mate.
The urge to blurt out something—to explain away what he didn’t really understand himself—was so strong Shaun had to bite his lips.
For once, TJ seemed to take the hint and drop the subject.
“You heading to the hangar in Haines Junction soon? Tad had me go get the aircraft ready for the summer season.” TJ grimaced. “The float plane was easy, but I don’t know what the hell you left in the chopper the last time you flew her. There were like a million mice nesting in there.”
“You’re worse than the pack kids. You know, when I dropped in at Tad and Missy’s last week I nearly broke my neck, and it wasn’t me being a klutz. Those kids have enough Lego to build a causeway to Russia. Plus, with the balls and stuffed shit there are times I think…”
Shaun pinched the bridge of his nose. Having TJ not ask about his mate was worse than having the discussion.
He gave up and scowled at the younger wolf. “Met her last night.”
TJ thumped rapidly on the chair back in front of him to produce a drum roll. “Now we’re getting somewhere. You work fast.”
Damn wolf genes. “It wasn’t my idea.”
TJ gave him the look. “Believe me, I know about having choices taken out of your hands. You’re a wolf, mating is never completely your decision.” He glanced around before warning, “Just a heads-up. That excuse, it wasn’t my idea? Like totally gets my ass kicked when I try to use it.”
To enter the Wolfie World Tour giveaway leave a comment with your answer to the following question:
Do you read excerpts of books to come or do you avoid them?
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- ARC-Review: THE TEMPTATION OF A GENTLEMAN by Jenna...
- Requested Review: DOUKAKIS'S APPRENTICE by Sarah M...
- ARC-Review: UNCLAIMED by Courtney Milan
- ARC-Review: QuickScore of A COWBOY'S MUSE by Beth ...
- ARC-Review: BAD BOYS DO by Victoria Dahl
- QuickScore-Review: UNSTOPPABLE by Laura Griffin
- QuickScore-Review: SHE LIKES HIM BAD by Scarlett S...
- Review: CLAY by Cheyenne McCray
- Review: IT'S ALWAYS BEEN YOU by Victoria Dahl
- Guestpost: Bandicoot Cove: The Beginning by Jess D...
- Review: FADE TO MIDNIGHT by Shannon McKenna
- ARC-Review: ISLAND IDYLLE by Jess Dee
- Review: WHEN YOU DARE by Lori Foster
- QuickScore-Review: UNLOCKED by Courtney Milan
- Bandicoot Cove-Preview: ISLAND IDYLLE by Jess Dee
- Announcement: Winners Carly Phillips' SERENDIPITY ...
- Review: UNVEILED by Courtney Milan
- Review: COWGIRLS DON'T CRY by Lorelei James
- ARC-Review + Giveaway: BLACK GOLD by Vivian Arend
- QuickScore-Review: SLOW RIDE by Lorelei James
- Review: SCOUNDREL by Zoe Archer
- Review: RAISING KANE by Lorelei James
- QuickScore-Review: GLUTTON FOR PLEASURE by Alisha ...
- Interview + Giveaway: Carly Phillips' SERENDIPITY ...
- Guestpost: Lexxie Couper reveals the myth of Bilby...
- ARC-Review: CIPHER by Moira Rogers
- ARC-Review: TROPICAL SIN by Lexxie Couper
- Excerpt + Giveaway: Wolfie World Tour Day 4: Excer...
- Guestpost + Giveaway: Wolfie World Tour Day 3 - CO...
- Bandicoot Cove-Preview: TROPICAL SIN by Lexxie Cou...
- ARC-Review: THE SECRETS OF A LADY by Jenna Peterse...
- ▼ September (31)
- ► 2010 (128)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (127)