September 27, 2011
8:00 AM | Edit Post
Clio is not only the muse of history, she has virtually lived her life through books. When a lightning strike sends her through space and time, Clio finds herself in the Old West with no way of getting home and none of her powers. Relying on her book learning is not working out like she’d hoped.
Ace Nevada is an unwilling sheriff who has spent the last year trying to get out of town. When a crazy woman lands in the horse trough in front of a saloon, he finds himself strangely attracted to her. He can’t help himself from sampling her lips or her incredibly lush body.
Clio learns how to be human and Ace remembers what it is to be human. They are two halves of the same whole. Mates. When Clio’s powers return, will their love pass the test of time?
Title: A COWBOY’S MUSE
Author: Beth Williamson
Genre: Historical Romance, Time-Travel, Paranormal Romance
Year of release: 2011, September 27
Source: received an e-ARC from the author for review
Clio spent most of her time reading books.
- the opening scene where Clio finds herself flung on Earth and landing in a trough > great opening with lots of humor (and we all know who’s a sucker for humor)
Clio, goddess (and muse of History) travels to from Mt. Olympus to Earth and back in time by accident and ends up in 1875 Peyote, Texas. I really liked Ace and his straightforwardness, gruffness and brutal honesty and I loved the combination of innocence and fierceness that was Clio.
A COWBOY'S MUSE was my first time-travel/historical western/pnr (yup, a mesh-up of epic proportions) in years and though Beth Williamson's writing is definitely something I loved and I certainly want to read more of her work in a contemporary setting, there's a reason I haven't read mesh-ups like these for years: I'm not a big fan of either historical western or time-travel.
However if you love these types of stories don't hesitate to get it and read it because in the short span of 50 pages Williamson delivered a lovely, nicely wrapped up story that had great characters, had lots of humor and was sizzling hot to boot!
"Somebody get her a towel or something," a deep voice said. "For Chrissakes, stop staring, Billy! Ain't you ever seen a woman in a purple peek-a-boo before?"
"Not like that, Ace. I was hoping to get a look at her–" answered another voice, this one a bit whiny.
"Shut up and get back inside that damn saloon before I shoot you, you stupid cowpoke."
Maybelle swept out onto the porch. Shit. "Ace Nevada! Get your hands offa that girl." Ace pushed Clio off his lap back onto the step where she landed with a thump.
"She kissed me, Maybelle."
Maybelle snorted. "And I'm the Queen of England. Clio! Get yourself back in this house!"
Clio jumped up and darted into the house. He waited for the rest of it.
Maybelle smacked him across the back of his head and ended his waiting.
"Leave that girl alone, Ace. She ain't quite right in the head and she don't need a smooth-talker like you ruffling her drawers." With one last smack, Maybelle went into the house behind his goddess.
There were six men in the room, all ogling, staring at, pawing and flirting with Clio! My woman. My goddess. Some unused instinct buried deep inside his soul howled and clawed its way up out of the darkness. As he watched in disbelief, Clio laughed and touched, touched, the hand of the man to her left.
The man who would soon only have one hand. "What in the hell is going on in here?" he thundered.
Labels: ARC-review, Beth Williamson, good reads, Historical Romance, Paranormal Romance, QuickScore-review, reviews, Self-Published, Time-Travel, Western Romance
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- ARC-Review: THE TEMPTATION OF A GENTLEMAN by Jenna...
- Requested Review: DOUKAKIS'S APPRENTICE by Sarah M...
- ARC-Review: UNCLAIMED by Courtney Milan
- ARC-Review: QuickScore of A COWBOY'S MUSE by Beth ...
- ARC-Review: BAD BOYS DO by Victoria Dahl
- QuickScore-Review: UNSTOPPABLE by Laura Griffin
- QuickScore-Review: SHE LIKES HIM BAD by Scarlett S...
- Review: CLAY by Cheyenne McCray
- Review: IT'S ALWAYS BEEN YOU by Victoria Dahl
- Guestpost: Bandicoot Cove: The Beginning by Jess D...
- Review: FADE TO MIDNIGHT by Shannon McKenna
- ARC-Review: ISLAND IDYLLE by Jess Dee
- Review: WHEN YOU DARE by Lori Foster
- QuickScore-Review: UNLOCKED by Courtney Milan
- Bandicoot Cove-Preview: ISLAND IDYLLE by Jess Dee
- Announcement: Winners Carly Phillips' SERENDIPITY ...
- Review: UNVEILED by Courtney Milan
- Review: COWGIRLS DON'T CRY by Lorelei James
- ARC-Review + Giveaway: BLACK GOLD by Vivian Arend
- QuickScore-Review: SLOW RIDE by Lorelei James
- Review: SCOUNDREL by Zoe Archer
- Review: RAISING KANE by Lorelei James
- QuickScore-Review: GLUTTON FOR PLEASURE by Alisha ...
- Interview + Giveaway: Carly Phillips' SERENDIPITY ...
- Guestpost: Lexxie Couper reveals the myth of Bilby...
- ARC-Review: CIPHER by Moira Rogers
- ARC-Review: TROPICAL SIN by Lexxie Couper
- Excerpt + Giveaway: Wolfie World Tour Day 4: Excer...
- Guestpost + Giveaway: Wolfie World Tour Day 3 - CO...
- Bandicoot Cove-Preview: TROPICAL SIN by Lexxie Cou...
- ARC-Review: THE SECRETS OF A LADY by Jenna Peterse...
- ▼ September (31)
- ► 2010 (128)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (127)