May 18, 2011
8:00 AM | Edit Post
Shawn Griffin and Rachel Cooper have been best friends practically since birth, thanks to their families’ close relationship. But for the past few years, Shawn has been fantasizing about getting his best pal in his bed. When she announces she’s taking a trip to reconnect with an old lover, Shawn knows the time has come to put up or shut up. If she wants to go to New York City, fine. But he’s coming with her.
Rachel doesn’t know what to think of Shawn’s sudden interest. Determined to live life on her own terms, she refuses to fall right in line with her wealthy family’s wish that they get married and have perfect little babies. She just didn’t count on how determined her seemingly laid back -- and extremely sexy -- best friend would become after setting his sights on what he wants. Her, over and over again.
But when tragedy strikes, Rachel begins to wonder if she’ll lose not only her lover but her best friend too.
Author: Cari Quinn
Series: standalone (as far as I know)
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Erotic Romance
Publisher: Loose ID
Year of release: 2011, February 15
Source: Received an e-ARC from author for review
She had a choice to make. To go or to stay. To have an incredible adventure or to stay snuggled in the soulless crypt of her comfort zone.
- Shawn’s skills with handcuffs > clever thinking there ;-)
- Every.Single.Sex.Scene > pages could’ve easily caught fire is all I’m saying! And the best thing is I wouldn’t have noticed as I was enthralled by the sexy, sexy scenes!
- BEYOND MEMORABLE: The elevator scene!!! I never thought I would ever say this but Cari’s elevator smexing scene trumps ANY office smex scene I have ever read! There! I said it!
Rachel Cooper and Shawn Griffin have been best friends forever, since they were in diapers. When Rachel’s contemplating to visit an ex on the other side of the country to have a sexual fling and some closure Shawn surprises her by telling he’s going with her. Shawn’s been in love with Rachel for years and when she tells him his plans he decides enough is enough and now is the time to show her he’s the only man she needs.
Rachel resists taking her relationship with Shawn beyond either friendship or just sex for several reasons. For one, she doesn’t want to ruin their friendship with emotions. Another reason is her natural resistance to doing anything her parents expect from her, her rebellion against her parents so to speak. Third is fear. She has loved once and he hurt her so she shields herself from it as to not risk the chance of getting hurt again. Rachel doesn’t do love, at least that’s what she thinks, but Shawn sneaked up on her and nestled himself in her heart way before she’s ready to admit it.
Shawn and Rachel are very alike. They both compartmentalize things, they’re both stubborn and tenacious. I loved the banter between them. They are very comfortable with each other, which I guess is one of the reasons I love the friends-to-lovers trope so much.
The romance in INSATIABLE was built up excellently. Shawn was quicker in accepting what was between him and Rachel as he’d acknowledged his feelings for her much earlier. And Rachel, though slowly giving into the chemistry and her changing feelings (from close friendship to sexual interest to love), she remains hesitant and doesn’t jump in with both feet. I really liked that Cari Quinn took this road as nothing bothers me more than overnight changes of heart or sudden epiphany moments that make a story feel rushed. Well, there was nothing rushed about INSATIABLE. Thank you for that, Cari!
Cari Quinn’s sex scenes are so awesome I can’t even find appropriate adjectives to describe them or how I feel about them any more. If anyone deserves the title of author of the hottest sex scenes ever, it’s her. But the sexy scenes aren’t what solely attracts me to her books and keep me coming back for more. Her characters, especially her heroes, are terrifically written. The chemistry and dynamics between her characters, their dialogues, their histories and their personalities…All of it comes together perfectly and smoothly and more importantly it works oh so well for me I just drown in the books and don’t want to come up for air.
Cari Quinn hit all my emotional buttons with INSATIABLE. Next to the sizzling scenes there are also emotional moments of doubt and self-recrimination that caused lumps in my throat. It’s known I have a soft spot for books with heat, emotion and humor. INSATIABLE ticked every single one of those boxes for me. And wow, I was totally shaken up at the end of this story. Not only did something unexpected throw me for a loop, the ending also definitely touched a personal reality for me. I was tearing up through the entire last chapter and literally and loudly bawled at Rachel’s speech during a certain event. (Won’t say which event as it will spoil the powerful ending of this story). This last chapter, even knowing there had to be a HEA, had me worried for a while about how this was going to be wrapped up and I must say Ms Quinn hit it out of the ballpark with the end.
I love reading Cari Quinn’s books so much once I start a book of hers I can’t put it down and INSATIABLE definitely was not an exception to that. With INSATIABLE she gave me stuff like himbo, hit-and-run sex and nibblicious butt. Just for that she deserves an extra point for this book.
I don’t think I can come up with any fresh new words to praise Cari Quinn’s writing. I’ve complained about the short length of her stories before and with INSATIABLE this complaint has been completely taken away as I was treated to a well-written rounded story with enough pages and room for more back-story and depth to the characters than in her shorter stories.
There wasn’t a single thing I didn’t like about INSATIABLE. It aroused me, it made me laugh and it made cry. The perfect triad for a perfect read!
He’d cajoled her to come with him to this thing, but she wasn’t dancing with him. Nope. She preferred to dance with the first himbo who twirled the pretty pink umbrella in her mixed drink. (LOVE LOVE LOVE Cari for introducing me to the word ‘himbo’ here. I laughed out loud, really hard, when I read it. Brilliant!)
His hooded green eyes offered wicked delights his equally naughty lips promised to fulfill, if a woman didn’t exhaust herself on the fantasy before she’d sampled the reality.
Air swept over her fevered skin as he tugged down the zipper, but she didn’t stop him. He’d flipped a switch inside her, and now he kept his finger on the button, playing her expertly.
Then Rachel walked into the room, her short geisha girl outfit revealing a mile and a half of leg, and his muscles locked as if he were a wolf that had just scented its mate.
She’d known Shawn all her life, and until two days ago, she’d believed, perhaps naively, that she understood him better than anyone. She knew what to buy him for his birthday—books on architecture or a gift certificate to his favorite art store, so he could buy his preferred brand of sketch pads and blue pencils —and how to make his favorite kind of peanut butter sandwich, with strawberry jelly and banana on extra-dark toast. But she didn’t know this dangerously tempting man who’d just stared at her as if he wanted to swallow her in one greedy, finger-licking gulp.
“What are you looking for then?”
“What I’ve already found.” He took a breath. Let it out again. “I love you, Rachel.”
When her expression didn’t change, he let out a self-deprecating laugh. “Capital L, Rach. The big kahuna. Not best-pal love, but the I-want-to-eat-tropical-fruit-drizzled-with-honey-off-your-breasts-and-make-love-to-you-all-night kind. Get my drift?”
Labels: Cari Quinn, Contemporary Romance, eBooks, Erotic Romance, Loose ID Publishing, perfect reads, requests, reviews
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- Review: ECSTASY IN DARKNESS by Gena Showalter
- Apple Trail Week-Guestpost: Up Next in Apple Trail...
- Apple Trail Week-Review: IN THE HAY by Keri Ford
- Apple Trail Week-Vlog: Keri Ford reads from IN THE...
- Apple Trail Week-Review: ON THE FENCE by Keri Ford...
- Apple Trail Week-Guestpost: Keri Ford's favorite s...
- Apple Trail Week-Review: THROUGH THE WALL by Keri ...
- Review: SKIN HEAT by Ava Gray
- Review: INSATIABLE by Cari Quinn
- ARC-review: TABOO by Leslie Dicken
- Review: SWEET AS SIN by Inez Kelley
- Winner-announcement: PROMISES IN THE DARK by Steph...
- QuicknDirty-Review: SOUTHERN COMFORT by Eve Cassid...
- Review: HOW SWEET IT IS by Sophie Gunn
- Review: NEVER HAVE I EVER by Alisha Rai
- Review: NO PLACE TO RUN by Maya Banks
- Review: FALLING, FREESTYLE by Vivian Arend
- ▼ May (17)
- ► 2010 (128)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (127)