May 2, 2011
9:00 PM | Edit Post
Never venture out of bounds without a buddy–preferably two.
Dara’s past four incredible years have been lived to the fullest. Along with her best friends, Kane and Jack, she’s left no local wilderness unexplored, no ski slope unchallenged. Yet lately she wonders why they’ve never seen her as more than a buddy with breasts. When—or if—either man will cross that unspoken line.
It’s a line Kane eyes harder every day. Since high school, he and Jack have shared everything. A condo, vacations—and their best girl. Kane’s ready to get serious about his wilderness school and outfitter business, and that includes putting down roots. Preferably with Dara.
Wary of the men who’ve recently been sniffing around Dara, Jack has a growing sense that he or Kane better make a move soon, or they’re going to lose out on their perfect match. Question is, who does she prefer…and who’s going to bring their easygoing trio to an end?
Overhearing the boys arguing over her, Dara’s floored—and torn. Choose between them? No way. Drastic measures are called for, a plan for their annual holiday getaway that will clarify her feelings once and for all—or lose everything in a sexual storm of whiteout proportions.
Warning: Old friends turned lovers can get into the most trouble—exhibitionism, bondage, spanking. Anal sex, oral sex, unauthorized use of ski safety harnesses, icicles in the hot tub…the author apologizes in advance for any melted monitors.
Title: FALLING, FREESTYLE
Author: Vivian Arend
Series: Xtreme Adventures, book 1
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Erotic Romance
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Year of release: 2010, November 30
Source: Received e-ARC from author for review
The bright yellow safety marker passed behind them as Dara leaned back on the solid wood boards of the chairlift, easing her skis onto the rests.
- first sex scene > good thing I'm read this book during a pretty cold spell or I'd have spontaneously combusted
- Jack and Kane discussing erotic romance > I love Viv for this scene
- icicles in the hot tub scene > the thought of coldness never crossed my mind
The main characters of FALLING, FREESTYLE are Dara, Kane and Jack. Three lifelong friends who embark on something that goes beyond close friendship. What a delicious, awesome read. It had everything I want in an erotic romance: well-written, steamy hot, funny, emotional and attention-grabbing.
Plain and ordinary is how Dara sees herself. She has a thing for her two best friends but doesn't dare going for either of them for fear of ruining their three-way friendship. She's pure and straightforward, what you see is what you get. I really loved how she handled both men and could match them in practically everything they dished out.
The two main men are Kane and Jack. Kane is a goofy, loud daredevil. He’s the kind of man who throes himself into a situation and then doubles back to think about it…maybe… Jack is the opposite of Kane. He’s solid, instinctive and supportive and is most happy when all is ordered and pristine
Though Kane definitely was a drool-worthy character, it was Jack who made me weak in the knees and that's not just because of my soft spot for heroes with his name. I loved how Kane, the boisterous, dare-devilish character, was the one who had the most trepidation about the ménage (at first) and it was Jack, the more cautious one, who dove in headfirst and was reassuring and encouraging Kane. He was also the more adventurous one in the bedroom, making Kane look the tamer one of the two. This dynamic in the book was just fascinating.
FALLING, FREESTYLE is, without a doubt, my favorite Vivian Arend read to-date, it just ticked all the right boxes: ménage, friends-to-lovers, sizzling hot sex, witty banter and genuine emotions. And when I started trying to picture in my head how certain things would work (using safety harness from skis as improvised handcuffs for example), I knew I had me a winner! The start of the book was more intense than the ending but still it was still the best Vivian Arend book I've read up till now. There was even a little bit of conflict to resolve, which is something that's not standard in her books.
I just love Vivian Arend’s writing. With FALLING, FREESTYLE I was once again drawn in from the very start by the ease and humor in her writing. The banter, camaraderie and chemistry between Dara, Kane and Jack are great and a big positive in this story.
One thing I MUST mention is the Alpine Responsibility Code that was quoted rule by rule at the beginning of every chapter. They were so fitting the stuff going on in the actual chapters, I just loved them and I wonder if there will be something similar, like a Rock Climbing Responsibility Code, in the next book.
The skiing stuff in this book brought memories back for me I'd rather forget. Years ago I discovered at a former job's teambuilding day that involved skiing lessons, in a what might be hilarious to some but in a disastrous way for me, that skiing is not my forte. I think there's still a traumatized ski instructor out there who will run screaming should I ever go down a slope in his vicinity. Still I enjoyed the joy of going down the slopes through Dara, Kane and Jack's characters.
I'm a sucker for the ménage trope as well as the friends-to-lovers trope and with FALLING, FREESTYLE Vivian Arend gave me a lovely combination of both that will definitely go on the favorite list.
"What's the solution? You going to step back and let me show her who's the better guy?" Jack's husky voice sent a shiver racing over Dara's skin.
She took his mouth like she took to the hills, full out, full speed--caution be damned.
"Did I offend your delicate feelings with my wicked proposal?"
He leered at her as he rose to his feet. "Hell no, I was just trying to figure out how you managed to avoid suggesting it a long time ago. Two righteous studs at your beck and call for years, and it took you this long to finally come to your senses?"
She tried to regain his lips, but he pressed his finger against them. She growled and muttered against the single digit. "Why not?"
Kane cleared his throat. "Because I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy? One step at a time."
"I'll totally let you run the bases before you hit a home run with me."
Kane and Jack exchanged glances. "She likes a little restraint?" Kane asked.
Jack nodded. "Looks that way. You want to get her legs?"
"Hey guys, she’s right here, listening to you...holy--"
Kane pulled her knees up and to the side. With no further preamble, he dropped his head between her legs, and suddenly she couldn't breathe.
Sensory overload approached like a freight train, and she let herself go, knowing they would catch her.
He [Kane] crawled on top of Dara and nuzzled her neck. His lips touched the lobe of her ear and he licked it before whispering softly, "I want you. Will you take me?"
Jack came to his side. "Kane? Are you going through Dara's bag? That's dangerous. Women have killed for less--"
(Kane) "You know I've got four sisters. Nothing was sacred when I was growing up. The things those girls talked about when I was around would have scarred a lesser man."
Dara was up to something, and she deserved the right to play this one out as she desired. She lifted her chin and her gaze darted between him and his friend. There was none of her usual submissive softness in her stance, just an all-out sensual burn that threatened to ignite the entire room.
(Dara to Jack) "Kane and I are going in the hot tub to f#ck like bunnies. You want to come?"
Labels: awesome reads, Contemporary Romance, Erotic Romance, reviews, Samhain Publishing, Vivian Arend, Xtreme Adventures Series
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- Review: ECSTASY IN DARKNESS by Gena Showalter
- Apple Trail Week-Guestpost: Up Next in Apple Trail...
- Apple Trail Week-Review: IN THE HAY by Keri Ford
- Apple Trail Week-Vlog: Keri Ford reads from IN THE...
- Apple Trail Week-Review: ON THE FENCE by Keri Ford...
- Apple Trail Week-Guestpost: Keri Ford's favorite s...
- Apple Trail Week-Review: THROUGH THE WALL by Keri ...
- Review: SKIN HEAT by Ava Gray
- Review: INSATIABLE by Cari Quinn
- ARC-review: TABOO by Leslie Dicken
- Review: SWEET AS SIN by Inez Kelley
- Winner-announcement: PROMISES IN THE DARK by Steph...
- QuicknDirty-Review: SOUTHERN COMFORT by Eve Cassid...
- Review: HOW SWEET IT IS by Sophie Gunn
- Review: NEVER HAVE I EVER by Alisha Rai
- Review: NO PLACE TO RUN by Maya Banks
- Review: FALLING, FREESTYLE by Vivian Arend
- ▼ May (17)
- ► 2010 (128)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (127)