February 16, 2011
10:30 AM | Edit Post
Surrounded by beer-swilling, skirt-chasing cowboys her whole life, barmaid Daphne Norris has no intention of ever settling for any of the men in her Podunk hometown. So when bronc rider Will Hanson sends shock waves to her core with just one glance from his striking green eyes, no one is more surprised than her.
But Will is no ordinary cowboy, and he can see that Daphne is no ordinary small-town girl. He can sense in Daphne the quiet strength and devotion needed to satisfy a man like him, a man who needs to be on top, in every aspect of his life.
Daphne hasn't ever succumbed to her submissive desires before, and Will awakens her in ways she never imagined. While she's not prepared to give him her heart, she agrees to Will's offer of three days of intense pleasure, and then she's walking. But Daphne falls hard and fast, and now she has a decision: return to a normal life, or give up everything for Will...
Title: Consent to the Cowboy
Author: Abby Wood
Series: Stand Alone
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Erotic Romance
Publisher: Carina Press
Year of release: 2010, June 28
Source: Requested from publisher via NetGalley
Daphne hooked the heel of her red cowboy boot on the first rail of the fence and hung her arms over the top.
- The scene at the Chum's parking lot and at Chum's > emotional and important scene for Daphne's character development.
- The last 3 chapters where a conflict originates and propels into a very emotional ending > Daphne's letter to Will made me tear up
rodeo cowboys, serving girls/barmaids, light bondage, shady parents, a huge misunderstanding, ranch life, hot D/s sexy times
Will Hanson is a bronc rider who likes to be in control. He’s self-confident and oozes quiet power. He knows what he wants and goes for it without qualms. In Daphne he sees his ideal woman; strong and submissive
Daphne Norris is guarded and keeps to herself. With a deadbeat two-timing dad and her share of washed-up cowboy exes she's determined to keep all men at an arm's length, especially cowboys who think they can order her around. Until she meets the one cowboy who may be capable of drawing out her secret fantasy of submission
Will knows what he wants from Daphne from the moment they meet: her submission to his Domination. He starts by slowly easing her into it, while retching up the sexual tension between them. But at one point he did rub me the wrong way in his demands (I'd never be a good submissive LOL) and I felt a bit of trepidation:
“You’ll move into my house, you’ll quit your job, and your life will center on our relationship, is that understood?”
“Will you or won’t you give up your life to come and share my life?”
But then when in the light of day Daphne has doubts and withdraws what she agreed to in the heat of the moment, he only asks for three days of her time so she can give it a chance...and he can take her doubts away. He actually tones down the Dom a bit. This made Will more likable to me but at the same time it also made it harder for me to get a firm grip on his character.
CONSENT TO THE COWBOY is a lovely story that at some point gave me a Pretty Woman meets The Wild West feeling. It was engaging and attention grabbing, while focusing on the chemistry between the main characters. Simple and unembellished it put Abby Wood on my authors-to-keep-an-eye-on list.
- the fireworks between Will and Daphne
- the light BDSM stuff: exhibitionism, spanking, and bondage
- the cherry thing
- Klep, the kleptomaniac dog
- the beginning (first 5/6 chapters), though compelling and intense, felt a bit like going too fast.
- The heavier BDSM (slave/Master) stuff
- Some of Will's demands and how, at times, he shut himself off emotionally from Daphne
Excellently written and though Will was the kind if hero I had to warm up too, it was a hot erotic romance that kept me thoroughly entertained for a few evenings. This book once again proved that the Carina Press acquisitions team knows how to pick some great books.
“Look at me, sweetheart.” He issued a soft order but one that left her struggling for breath. Why did he order her to do things in such a way that she wanted to do anything he asked?
The strength he displayed rocked her world, but this side of Will wrapped itself around her heart and didn’t want to let go.
She forgot about the blindfold, the binds holding her in place, and gave herself over to the pleasure he elicited. The way he worked her body into arousal and held her at her peak, then drove her over into her personal utopia, washed away every doubt, every inhibition that invaded her thinking.
Labels: Abby Wood, Carina Press, Contemporary Romance, eBooks, Erotic Romance, great reads, QnD-reviews, reviews, standalone, Western Romance
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- Review: ATLANTIS REDEEMED by Alyssa Day
- Review: SURRENDER OF A LADY by Tiffany Clare
- QuicknDirty-Review: CONSENT TO THE COWBOY by Abby ...
- QuicknDirty-Review: THE MORNING AFTER by J.K. Coi
- QuicknDirty-Review: DOING LOGAN by Rhian Cahill
- QuicknDirty-Review: ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK by Rhian ...
- Review: SINGAPORE FLING by Rhian Cahill
- Review: ANY GIVEN SUNDAY by Mari Carr
- QuicknDirty-Review: REVEAL ME by Cari Quinn
- Announcement: New Year, New Look
- Announcement: Winner of Cari Quinn's REVEAL ME
- ▼ February (11)
- ► 2010 (128)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (127)