March 3, 2010
12:04 PM | Edit Post
Sometimes the last thing you want is exactly what you need...
Six years after trading in his combat gear for hospital scrubs, Luke Rafferty is faced with things just as heartbreaking as those on the battlefield. The abused children being brought in by the pretty redheaded social worker tug at his soul like nothing he's ever known.
For Devon Manning, being a social worker is a rewarding job, but also a constant reminder of her own troubled youth. Devon takes everything one day at a time-unable to form a relationship with anyone except the children she rescues.
A DESIRE TO HEAL
When Luke meets Devon, he thinks he might have found what he's been looking for, but in order to get the life he wants, Luke has to break through Devon's emotional barriers and make her realize that his healing touch might be just the complication her life needs . . .
Author: Shiloh Walker
Series: Prequel to BROKEN
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Berkley Sensation
Year of release: February 2009
Format: Tradesize Paperback
First line: Mad. That was the first thing that Luke Rafferty thought as he gazed at the face across from him.
"I need you," he whispered. "I need you so much it hurts."
His voice was hoarse, rough with emotion. It sent shivers down her spine and closed a fist around her heart. Lifting her arms, she waited wordlessly. Words were useless at that point; they couldn't describe her own painful need for him or the way he managed to soothe her and excite her at the same time. Words couldn't describe the way he eased the ache in her soul even as he created a whole different kind of ache.
Summary/Plot:Twins Luke and Quinn were separated at birth and reunited when they are 11. They both join the Army. Luke is a field medic in the Rangers but leaves Army after a leg injury and becomes a doctor. At the hospital where he works he comes in contact with Devon, a social worker who is a recovered drug-addict after being exually abused as a kid. She has overcome her past and now works hard to help children escape what she went through as a kid. The attraction between Devon and Luke is immediate but Devon fights it hard, Luke isn't scared away easily and just as he's made progress and their relationship is heading into calmer waters, a threat to Devon's life turns them both inside out.
Hero:Luke Rafferty (37). Hardworking, adrenaline junkie, protective, passionate anout protecting the people he loves/cares about.
Heroine:Devon Manning (26). Cautious and guarded. Stubborn and a fighter.
Writing:Shiloh Walker has a writing style that pulls you under from the first page. FRAGILE took hold of me and wouldn't let go. I was mesmerized by the strength in the emotions and the suspense.
Likes:FRAGILE bursts with intensity and a realistic vibe. The story of two people dealing with their everyday struggles and traumas from the past. The way the suspense was masterfully imbedded into the story with little subtle hints at the beginning, building up to the suspense in the middle and a very surprising twist in the end.
And let's not forget the hotness of this book. Does Ms Walker know how to write hot and emotional sex scenes or what? Devon and Luke's first time was so very hot. Kitchen table s'all I'm saying.
Verdict:FRAGILE is an amazing mind-blowing, emotional book that stays with you for a long time. If you like sexy and you like romantic suspense in a contemporary setting, FRAGILE should not be missing on your bookshelf!
Rating: 10 out of 10
Labels: Berkley Publishing, Contemporary Romance, perfect reads, reviews, Romantic Suspense, Shiloh Walker
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- ► 2011 (163)
- ARC-review: Instant Temptation - Jill Shalvis
- Winners Vivian Arend Guestpost
- Instant Gratification by Jill Shalvis
- Instant Attraction by Jill Shalvis
- Author Vivian Arend talks Paranormal v. Contempora...
- ARC-review: Wolf Games - Vivian Arend
- In My Mailbox (#12)
- A Day in the life of Pearl
- Wolf Flight by Vivian Arend
- Happy Birthday to Bree
- Blood Ties - Lori Armstrong
- International Heat-Global Warming blog tour
- Wolf Signs by Vivian Arend
- Review: Shades of Midnight - Lara Adrian
- Review: Highland Scoundrel - Monica McCarty
- ARC-review: Broken - Shiloh Walker
- Fragile by Shiloh Walker
- ▼ March (17)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (127)