October 19, 2011
8:00 AM | Edit Post
Patrick didn’t think it would be a big deal to kiss his best friend Brandon. Hell, they’d done crazier things to avoid a bar fight. He was totally unprepared to be wildly turned on, the kiss opening up new avenues of pleasure he’d never dreamt of—Patrick, after all, was straight, even if Brandon wasn’t.
Destiny’s never been afraid to ask for what she wants. When she sees Patrick and Brandon together, she knows exactly what she wants—the three of them in bed together, preferably with her in the middle of a hot, naked-man sandwich with her two best friends.
When Brandon finds himself hunted by an unknown enemy, the three friends find themselves fighting for their lives—and their hearts.
Title: DESTINY CALLS
Author: Samantha Wayland
Series: standalone (as far as I know)
Genre: Erotic Romance, Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Ellora’s Cave Publishing
Year of release: 2011, July 6
Source: Received the ebook for review from author
He should have just stayed home.
- Destiny's little experiment with Brandon > my heart broke for Brandon at his realization that he was alone, had no one who was "his"
- the scene at Patrick's house after Brandon's attack > I teared up
- Captain Sullivan's reaction to Patrick's confession about loving both Destiny and Brandon > gotta love that man!
Destiny Matthews is a marketing executive with commitment issues. She’s take-charge, outspoken and tough but she has a soft core and her heart is in the right place.
This ménage has two heroes. First we have Brandon, who is bi-sexual. He’s also restraint, and stubborn but can be volatile when pushed to far.
Second we have Patrick who is straight, or at least he’s always thought he was straight until one kiss turns his world upside down. He’s kind, explosive, and outgoing. He’s also quick-mouthed and only shows his sweet side in private
Brandon and Patrick are both police officers and longtime best friends. Patrick seemed to be the binding factor in this ménage. Both Brandon and Destiny have (secret) crushes on him. Brandon tries to contain his attraction to Patrick and hides his unrequited love in favor of their lifelong friendship. Destiny and Patrick have been lovers off and on but it has always stayed on a sexual level.
While Patrick is the binding factor that brings them together, Destiny is the glue that keeps them together. She's the calming element when the guys' explosive tempers rear their heads. I clicked most with Destiny and Patrick.
This is an emotionally complex and intense story. Three lives with their different individual connections to each other are intricately woven together through some major attraction, explosive chemistry and deeply rooted love. Samantha Wayland has made a very good first impression on me. However there were some things that didn’t completely work for me.
I had a bit of trouble getting into the story but that lasted about a few chapters and had to do with the fact that the story opened with and at first focused on the m/m part of the m/m/f ménage. As known I'm not a m/m romance reader but do enjoy m/m/f romances when the woman is the focal point of the ménage. DESTINY CALLS started with just Brandon and Patrick though and that threw me back for a bit. However once Destiny entered the scene I was completely engaged...And more importantly, the story needed the opening it had as the whole dynamic between the friends and the development of the ménage hinged on it.
I believed in the Destiny/Patrick and Brandon/Patrick sexual and emotional connections, but in the beginning I had trouble believing in the Destiny/Brandon connection since there was no obvious foundation in something past fond friendship, contrary to the foundations that were present between respectively Brandon and Destiny with Patrick.
However sex scene wise I believed it all and gobbled it all up once I accepted that Samantha Wayland was going to tell this story as she saw fit and it wouldn't be conforming to my notions of how a m/m/f ménage should be. And the way she saw fit, was the way to go because that was the only way to let the story run its course towards the HEA that I ultimately what want to see in the end. And whatever I might have found not to my liking in this book, it was never the hot, rife with raw emotions, love scenes.
Next to the intricate and emotionally complex romance there's suspense as well (well duh, Brandon and Patrick are police officers). I started believing it was going to involve the arrest a mob kingpin. But there's also a violent attack on Brandon and this turned out to be the major element in the plot. Though there is a lot happening in this book, the pace was slow and not slow in a bad way, but just not fast-paced compared to everything happening.
Even though I'm still not a fan of too much m/m action and focus in m/m/f ménages and for me there wasn't enough focus on the female in the triad somehow this book still worked for me because of the raw emotions and emotional struggles that the characters went through to accept each other and all the consequences that went with that.
After finishing this book it stayed with me for quite some time as I couldn’t exactly form my final thoughts on it. Even though it had that m/m focus I am not fond of, it still made a big emotional impression on me. She definitely pushed some buttons with me and made me think about what I like and don’t like in ménages and I will definitely be looking for more books by Samantha Wayland.
God, Brandon tasted good. Familiar and different. The strength of Brandon’s arms, his sheer size, his flavor and texture. It was like Patrick’s first kiss all over again. A world of discovery in one lip-locked moment. Heat poured through him, thrumming with rough need.
She sat watching him [Patrick], her heart filled with compassion, her body humming with desire. His face was a mask of confusion and shock.
Patrick’s tongue stole over his, his lips yielding, responding, working at Brandon’s mouth. Each touch, each parry of Patrick’s tongue sent electric shocks zinging through Brandon’s body. He acquiesced, giving the kiss over while sinking deeper into it. It was so sweet. So good. Patrick ran a thumb over Brandon’s jaw and he let his eyes close, simply losing himself in kissing Patrick.
[...] Three days of jerking off hadn’t even come close to easing the ache. But this. His blood sang on its way south, his head spun from its rapid retreat. Every nerve ending was on full alert, gathering in sensations, swamping him with data.
He stared at her, achingly aware of his need for her, his desire that couldn’t be spent with one orgasm. Especially since he’d come in his pants like a freaking teenager. Jesus. (Brandon)
Brandon wanted to reach out, to shout his denial at the loss of contact, but stopped himself. He couldn’t pressure Patrick, no matter how the need beat at him. He had to let Patrick set the pace, even if Brandon wanted to fall to his knees and beg.
Come to that, if he were to fall to his knees in front of Patrick, there were a few things he’d like to do while he was down there.
She backed toward the door, her hand up. “No. I have to go. Don’t look at me like that! I can’t miss this meeting.” Dropping her hand, she clutched the handle of her briefcase. “I swear to god, Patrick, stop looking at me like that. It’s not fair.”
Brandon covered his mouth with one hand, doing a fairly poor job of hiding his laughter. They both knew what they’d done to her. Jerks. Mouth-watering, hunky, sex-god jerks.
He knew he should say something to make Brandon believe it would all be worth it, but he didn’t have the words. He had never been more acutely aware that being the one with the big mouth wasn’t the same as being the one who knew the right thing to say.
Labels: Contemporary Romance, eBooks, Ellora's Cave Publishing, Erotic Romance, great reads, requested review, reviews, Samantha Wayland, standalone
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- ARC-Review: HEART OF DARKNESS by Lauren Dane
- QuickScore-Review: COVER STORY by Olivia Brynn
- ARC-Review: REAL MEN WILL by Victoria Dahl
- ARC-Review: IF YOU HEAR HER by Shiloh Walker
- QuickScore-Review: LETTING GO by Dee Carney
- Requested Review: DESTINY CALLS by Samantha Waylan...
- ARC-Review: THE HEART OF A KILLER by Jaci Burton
- QuickScore-Review: SATISFYING HER TASTES by Keri F...
- Requested Review: WITH NO REMORSE by Cindy Gerard
- QuickScore-Review: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME by Kate Dav...
- Review: RISK NO SECRETS by Cindy Gerard
- ARC-Review: HOT AS HADES by Alisha Rai
- QuickScore-Review: LEAVE NO TRACE by Cindy Gerard
- QuickScore-Review: A KISS FOR LUCK by Kele Moon
- Review: FEEL THE HEAT by Cindy Gerard
- Review: ALL OF YOU by Rhian Cahill
- Requested Review: QuickScore of DOUBLE STROKES by ...
- ARC-Review: BAD KITTY by Cari Quinn
- ARC-Review: NIGHT MOVES by Stephanie Tyler
- QuickScore-Review: JACK (Red, Hot & Blue #2) by Ca...
- QuickScore-Review: TREY (Red, Hot & Blue #1) by Ca...
- ▼ October (21)
- ► 2010 (128)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (127)