June 1, 2010
8:00 AM | Edit Post
Today is a special day for me. A day of firsts. 1st of June, 1st author interview.
I am very proud and honored to welcome Ava Gray (aka Ann Aguirre) on my blog who was so gracious and nice to spend some time answering a few of my questions. I read SKIN TIGHT a while back. Click HERE to read my review and was so blown away by it that I took a sip of courage and decided to ask Ava Gray for an interview on my blog to celebrate the release of this awesome book.
Because I loved this book so much I'm also giving a lucky commenter a chance to win this book. Look below the interview for the giveaway-rules but first, sit back, relax and get to know Ms. Gray a bit better.
Let’s start with some QUICKIES to warm up…
Spiders or Rats?
Alpha or Beta?
Batman or Spiderman?
US or Mexico?
Pantser or Plotter?
Sci-Fi or UF?
Early Riser or Night Owl?
Q. Please could you start by telling us a bit about yourself?
A. I’m a national bestselling author with a degree in English Literature; before I began writing full time, I was a clown, a clerk, a voice actress, and a savior of stray kittens, not necessarily in that order. I grew up in a yellow house across from a cornfield, but now I live in sunny Mexico with my husband, children, two cats, and one very lazy dog. I like all kinds of books, emo music, action movies and Dr. Who. I love playing video games, as long as there’s a strong story component, and I think most games could benefit from more sex to go along with the violence.
Q. For readers out there who are still unfamiliar with your work, please tell us what kind of books you write.
A. I write urban fantasy (the Corine Solomon series), romantic science fiction (the Jax series), apocalyptic paranormal romance (the Ellen Connor books with Carrie Lofty), paranormal romantic suspense (as Ava Gray), and post-apocalyptic dystopian young adult fiction.
Q. Your book SKIN TIGHT is comes out today. This is the second book in the SKIN series. Please tell us a bit about this book and the series.
Q. The next book in the SKIN series is SKIN HEAT. Could you give us a sneak peek about what’s in store for us in that book?
A. You meet the hero of SKIN HEAT in SKIN TIGHT, but he only speaks one line there at the end. Then in book three, you follow him home to Alabama. Here’s the blurb:
More wild thing than man…
Zeke Noble has escaped from a secret facility; he has no idea why he was abducted, but the experiments were cruel, soul-killing, and they changed him forever. Now free, his natural affinity with animals has evolved into a dark and dangerous instinct, a curse that costs him too much of his humanity. But he has to rebuild his life, or his tormentors win. To that end, he goes looking for work and finds so much more.
Born to be wild…
Veterinarian Geneva Harper finds herself reluctantly drawn to the lean, mysterious young man to whom the wild is second nature, but she has troubles of her own. She’s the black sheep in an old moneyed Southern family, and she never had any interest in learning the family business, or being the good debutante daughter.
Though Zeke’s wanted Neva for as long as he can remember, their attraction can never go anywhere. They both know that for different reasons. But when a killer starts leaving behind a trail of victims, Zeke’s need to protect her is as fierce as his desire to claim her as his mate. And love may be the only thing that can save them both…
Q. How long have you been writing, and how did you get your start?
A. I’ve been writing since I was nine. I’m thirty-nine now, so unless my math fails me, that’s thirty years. It depends on what you mean by my start. My big break came when Laura Bradford signed me and she sold Grimspace. She offered representation at the end of March in 2007; we pitched on April 11, which is my husband’s birthday. Good omen? I think so. By May, we had an offer, and the rest has been a fabulous ride, full of hard work and wonderful rapport. She will always be a fairy godmother in my eyes.
Q. Do you have a favorite place or time to write? Do you try to keep to a specific writing schedule and strive for a certain amount of work per day?
A. I write in my office, on my couch, or in bed. It really depends on my mood and the type of scene. As for time, I try to get my work done first thing. I do keep a rigorous schedule. With deadlines like mine, I cannot fall behind. “Do or do not; there is no try!” Each book is predicated on 3K a day, 5 days a week, for 6 weeks.
Q. You write Science Fiction Romance, Urban Fantasy, Romantic Suspense with Paranormal Elements, YA and Paranormal Romance. That’s quite some genres. What genre are you most comfortable writing?
A. My books share one common thread; they’re character driven. So as long as I’m connecting with my protagonists and writing the story they need to tell, it’s all good.
Q. Do you read reviews of your books? If so, do you pay any attention to them, or let them influence your writing?
A. I try not to.
Q. Do you have a dream project that you haven't written yet?
A. I have quite an extensive idea file, but I’ll get them all in time.
Q. Have your characters ever taken off in a direction that you didn’t expect?
Q. If you could change places with any of your characters which one would it be and why?
A. Since I tend to torture my characters, I’d rather write their adventures than live them.
Q. Which character did you have the most fun creating and why?
A. I love the one I’m with, which at this time, is Gillie and Taye. They are so bent, and I adore them for it.
Q. If you weren't writing, what would you want to be doing for a living and what do you like to do when you’re not writing?
A. I would be married to Andres for a living. Movies, music, yoga, walking the dog, hanging with my family, and playing video games comprise the bulk of my non-book related interests.
Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
A. Right here at home with my beloved family.
Q. What question are you never asked in interviews but wish you were?
A. Tell me about the feral demonic monkeys in Shady Lady. Did you really have them on your boat in Catemaco?
Q. What question are you most sick of answering in interviews?
A. Tell me about yourself.
Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer my questions! I have truly enjoyed getting to know a bit more about you and hope my visitors will too!
And now for the giveaway!!
* To enter all you have to do is leave me a comment stating why you would like to win SKIN TIGHT and a way to contact you.
* Giveaway is open to all (as long as The Book Depository Store delivers where you live)
* On Friday June 4th I will pick a lucky commenter who wins a copy of SKIN TIGHT
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- ► 2011 (163)
- Carina Press Week-Interview: Joely Sue Burkhart
- Carina Press Week-ARC-review: The Bloodgate Guardi...
- Carina Press Week-ARCreview: Criminal Instinct - K...
- Carina Press Week-Interview: Ginny Glass
- Carina Press Week-ARCreview: Exclusively Yours - S...
- Carina Press Week-Guest Post: Executive Editor Ang...
- Winners ATLANTIS UNMASKED and SKIN TIGHT have been...
- There's a new e-Publisher in town...Carina Press!
- Author-Interview with Ava Gray & Giveaway of SKIN ...
- ▼ June (9)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (127)