November 14, 2011
8:00 AM | Edit Post
Blake Coleman is old enough to know that acting on impulse causes nothing but a heap of trouble. But when trouble’s a western-hat-wearing blonde with slim legs that go on forever, what’s a man to do? Wanting the sweet girl next door is just wrong. The responsible thing to do is keep his hands off.
Jaxi has other plans for Blake’s hands, and his heart. She may have once considered him a big brother, but that was a long time ago. She’s all grown up now and ready to convince him that she’s perfect for him. Except he can’t seem to see past the big “don’t touch” sign that’s apparently still hanging around her neck.
When Jaxi ends up living right under Blake's nose, the undeniable heat between them slides off simmer and leaps up to barn-burning levels. However, a few of the younger six-pack Colemans have decided Jaxi’s brand of trouble is worth risking a few busted bones.
That is, if Blake’s finally ready to let go the reins and fight for what he wants…
Warning: Sexy cowboys seducing and being seduced in trucks, pool halls and barns. Droolworthy country charm, a little double-teaming, a few secrets and a whole lot of brothers to look forward to. Anyone wanna go for a ride?
Title: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HEAT
Author: Vivian Arend
Series: Six Pack Ranch, book 1
Genre: Contemporary Romance,
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Year of release: 2011, November 15
Source: Received an e-ARC from author for review
“Are you sure you can’t last a bit longer?”
- Blake playing Peeping Tom while Jaxi is in the shower > awesome clash of conflicting feelings warring within Blake
- the pool game > the triple play challenge took the scene beyond fun and into sizzling hot
- the hot scene in the Coleman kitchen > No when I see or hear the mention canned peaches I will not only think of Inez Kelley's TURN IT UP but of Vivian Arend too!
- Jaxi's exotic dance for Blake > HOT!
The hero and heroine of ROCKY MOUNTAIN HEAT have known each other for quite some time. Ever since Jaxi was a little girl and only child she’d come and hang with the rambunctious Colemans on their ranch and from the moment she knew what it meant to desire, she desired Blake Coleman, the oldest son of the bunch.
Jaxi has been in love with Blake forever and when she is asked to stay on the ranch for a while, taking care of his mom after a fall from an apple tree, she seizes the opportunity to show Blake exactly how much she wants him and hopes she can convince him to want her back.
Little does she know that Blake hardly needs any convincing as Jaxi has been his forbidden fantasy for quite some time and it's getting more and more difficult to keep seeing her as a little sister. He tries to hold on to their age-difference, seeing it as a reason for them not to be together but the feelings and attraction are too strong to deny.
Jaxi is giving, selfless and outspoken. She’s also a goal-getter. She sets her mind on something she wants, she’s bound to get it. In this case she has set her mind on Blake and will not rest until he’s where she wants him.
Blake is the oldest son. The one who thinks he needs to set a responsible example for his younger brothers. He’s honorable, stubborn (oh my God is that man stubborn!) and commanding. He resists Jaxi for a long time but when he eventually gives in to the feelings he can no longer deny, he gives his all
Vivian Arend definitely turned up the heat in this one...it took a little while for the chemistry between Blake and Jaxi to combust but when it did it was full steam ahead all the way to the last page. Scorching, sizzling, steamy heat made for some awesome love scenes. I also loved the romance even though there were moments where I would think they should just come out and express their feelings towards each other since it was so plain to everyone else.
I fell in love with the Colemans the first time I read about them and fell even harder this second time! I'm still fascinated by the twins, I still swoon for Blake, down-to-earth Daniel and considerate Matt and I still think Travis can be a major, major jerk whom I just want to smack upside the head sometimes.
An extra treat was a secondary romance involving Matt. Though I definitely don’t want them to end up together because the woman is annoying and selfish as heck, their story was intriguing and I loved getting to know Matt a bit more and see an interesting side of him. Still I don’t think Helen is worthy of sweet, caring Matt. There has to be a better woman out there for him.
One thing about this secondary romance storyline was that I didn’t like that this storyline (even if it covered one of my favorite tropes) almost overtook Blake and Jaxi's story. Although I'm sure Vivian Arend incorporated so much of their story in ROCKY MOUNTAIN HEAT for a good reason. So I trust it will all be revealed in Matt’s book.
I don't know what to say about Vivian's writing anymore without gushing about it. I like it so much and it fits me because though she broaches serious subjects she still manages to keep it light, fast-paced, humorous and emotional yet free of melodrama. Vivian Arend is my go-to author for feel-good romance, the kind of books you pick up knowing when you’ve finished it you have a smile on your face and a happy sigh leaving your mouth.
A bright red mark on his neck caught his eye, and he groaned in frustration. Like he was going to be able to explain that one easily. He shook his head and aimed the truck for home. In his lap, Jaxi’s feverish cheek burned a hole into his thigh while his unanswerable lust burned a hole in his conscience.
“She’s too young for me. Be my guest and go for it, I don’t think of her that way.” Sweet mercy, what a bunch of bull . He thought of little but Jaxi. It was no use though. She was too young. She still looked up to him as a big brother, and he wasn’t going to step over that boundary like some hormone-crazed animal.
Blake bit back the urge to lay his mouth on hers and lick over the wetness, tasting her skin and her sweet flavor. He needed to retreat, needed to stand and flee from temptation and the heavenly smell of her warm breath on his skin before he did something they would both regret. But heaven help him if he could budge.
Blake watched, motionless and noiseless for so long he felt like a statue, every bit of his body gone as hard and rigid as his aching shaft. Indecision held him, immobilized him. The rush of blood through his veins drowned out the part of his common sense saying he needed to leave. The pounding faded everything logical and rational away in him and stripped him bare to need and desire.
Damn, he wanted her so bad he had to restrain himself from tossing her over his shoulder like a caveman and hightailing out to his truck for a little action in the back. Or forget even making it to the truck, he’d slip them into the back room and fuck her against the wall, hard and fast, until they both made more of those noises of pleasure she was so good at producing.
“Damn it, stop with the questions and give me what I need.” Jaxi arched hard, thrusting her hips against his hand. She was on fire, and he was keeping her at such a steady burn she was liable to pass out from need.
He grinned at her with his new cocky smile that made her heart melt and her panties wet all at the same time.
Labels: ARC-review, Contemporary Romance, great reads, reviews, Samhain Publishing, Vivian Arend, Western Romance
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- QuickScore-Review: THE FEARLESS MAVERICK by Robyn ...
- ARC-Review: SOME LIKE IT HOT by Louisa Edwards
- Review: TOO HOT TO TOUCH by Louisa Edwards
- Requested Review: INFATUATION by Melissa Schroeder...
- ARC-Review: HEAD OVER HEELS by Jill Shalvis
- Announcement: Winners Vivian Arend Giveaway
- ARC-Review: SUCK AND BLOW by Lexxie Couper
- QuickScore-Review: HOT TEXT by Cari Quinn
- ARC-Review: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HEAT by Vivian Arend
- Guestpost & Giveaway by Vivian Arend: The Elusive ...
- QuickScore-Review: LUCILLE'S LAWMAN by Beth Willia...
- ARC-Review: THE DESIRES OF A COUNTESS by Jenna Pet...
- ARC-Review: SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS by Jess Dee
- ▼ November (13)
- ► 2010 (128)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (127)