April 9, 2010
8:00 AM | Edit Post
Millicent “Missy” Armstrong is entering her fourth London Season, but not for lack of suitors. Since her debut three years ago, Missy has received twenty marriage proposals. But she is interested in only one man—her brother’s best friend, James Rutherford. As a child, Missy looked up to James. As a grown up, her admiration has blossomed into the longings of a beautiful, sensuous woman—and she won’t rest until James admits his love—and desire—for her…
James Rutherford rues the day he let his physical weaknesses get the better of him by kissing Missy. His best friend has made it clear that Missy is off limits, and though he’s avoided her for three years, he hasn’t forgotten the feel of her soft lips pressed against his—and it seems neither has she. For no matter how much James tries to discourage Missy, he keeps winding up in her arms, sharing heated caresses that promise the most delirious pleasure...
Missy has plenty offers of marriage but the one offer she truly wants and has been waiting for since her coming out, from the man she's been pining for since she was a young girl, is far from happening. So she takes matters into her own hand and decides to help things along. James does his best to resist his attraction to Missy for the sake of his lifelong friendship with her brother, but resistance is futile when matters of the heart are concerned and when Missy puts her mind to something.
Missy Armstrong is smart, loyal, tenacious and candid. She's very headstrong and anything but shy. She knows what she wants and goes after it with everything she has and Missy wants James.
James Rutherford is loyal to his friends and despite his reputation of a jaded rake he is honorable and trustworthy. He has a hard time bringing his feelings towards Missy in agreement with his friendship with her brother.
SINFUL SURRENDER tells the age-old trope of the heroine being in love with her brother's best friend and the hero falling for his best friend's little sister. And I must say Beverley Kendall did a great job of pouring this trope into a lovely historical romance. It's a sweet and passionate story of two people in love but one of them fighting it because of his pre-conceived notions about love and the fear of losing a lifelong friendship.
The book started a bit slow for me and I feared I'd have to struggle my way through it but after a few chapters I was completely enthralled by Beverley Kendall's writing and the story of Missy and James. She knows how to pull the reader into her story and once I got into it I didn't want to stop reading. I was sad to see that I'd reached the last page
What I found refreshing was that it was a very character-driven story about James and Missy's difficult journey to a HEA. There was no forced suspense/mystery plot to distract from the characters and their development but it was simply a delightful, straightforward historical romance.
There were many secondary characters but they were never too much or annoying. I especially took a liking to Alex Cartwright, the third in the trio of friends together with James and Thomas (Missy's brother). His sense of humor struck a cord with me and I hope to read his story some day too. For now I am looking forward to the next installment of this Reformed Rakes series: A TASTE OF DESIRE, starring Thomas and secondary character Amelia, who cracked me up! Can't wait to see the fireworks spark between these two.
With SINFUL SURRENDER Beverley Kendall has beautifully written a refreshing and utterly enjoyable historical romance that will please any romance reader who loves to be swept back into the times of the Society, balls, house parties and rakes.
Missy knew with but the slightest bit of encouragement from her, Lord Crawley would ask Thomas for her hand. However, he fell into the vast category of all men other than James -the group who had a better chance of ridding London of its fog than gaining her affections.
"You're angry." (...)
"You are in a man's chamber in your nightwear. Surely I don't have to tell you that you have more than breached the dictates of Society. Ladies do not behave in this manner."(...)
"I am a woman. I never claimed to be a lady."
Rating: 7.5 out of 10
Labels: Beverley Kendall, good reads, Historical Romance, Reformed Rakes Series, requested review, reviews
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- ► 2011 (163)
- Shiloh is giving away a Sony Pocket!
- Review: Patience - Lisa Valdez
- Rocky Mountain Haven is here to bring you a little...
- Requested Review: Rampant - Saskia Walker
- Challenge-Review: Glory in Death - J.D.Robb
- Requested Review: Sinful Surrender - Beverley Kend...
- Review: Coming Undone - Lauren Dane
- Challenge ARC-review: Random - Craig Robertson
- ▼ April (8)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (127)