April 20, 2010
2:35 PM | Edit Post
POSSESSION IS ONLY HALF THE FUN...
The moment she arrives at her rented vacation cottage nestled in Scotland, Zoë Daniels feels it--an arousal so powerful she's compelled to surrender to the unusually forceful carnal desires...with nearly anyone who crosses her path. Crawford Logan, the boat builder with the wayward grin. The devilish restaurateur Cain Davot, who seems to know more about Zoë than he lets on. And even her sexy neighbor Grayson Murdoch, whose eyes delve deep into her soul as he explores every inch of her body.
Yet there's something unsettling about the way the locals watch her, something eerie about these overwhelming encounters. Zoë knows she's not quite in control of herself and begins to wonder if there's any truth to the legend of Annabel McGraw, a powerful, promiscuous eighteenth-century witch who once owned the cottage, and whose spirit is rumored to affect anyone who stays there. Zoë doesn't believe in anything that even hints at the occult, but now strange visions are turning frightening...and only one man's touch can bring her back to earth.
The unmistakable sound of a woman being pleasure echoed through the woods above the village of Carbrey. The sound was deeply sensual, and powerful -as if she dared anyone to defy her needs.
And it was with this sentence that Saskia Walker ensnared me in the trap of a beautifully written story. When you start a book with a sentence like this you set some expectations for the reader and this reader especially. I am happy to report that the expectations were met in the most satisfactory way.
From the moment Zoë Daniels sets foot in the village of Carbrey to enjoy a much needed vacation, a strange urge of unusual arousal settles over her and she finds herself in the middle of a battle between good and evil magic forces. She turns out to be pivotal in warlock Cain Davot's plans to bring his long lost love, the witch Annabel, back. However not everything is what it seems as Zoë finds out when she comes in contact with Annabel's ghost and her helpful, sexy and protective neighbor, Grayson Murdoch.
With a fairly small cast of characters Saskia Walker weaves an entertaining paranormal story, sprinkled with eroticism. In fact she tells two stories and both stories, Zoë's and Annabel's, were delivered to the reader in a perfect way, each with its own distinctive feel, yet brought together effortlessly and intriguingly to want to keep on reading. It was rightly paced, had subtle humor, a fascinating plot and was explicitly erotic. With intricacy the story works its way to the culmination point and everything is unraveled. I loved both the well-written set-up of the book and the great wrap-up in the ending. Contrary to some other books in this genre the ending wasn't rushed but well rounded and fitting the rest of the book.
RAMPANT is written in an agreeable writing style and I was soon pulled in by it. It’s a very nice mix of erotic and paranormal. It left an impression of a well-done and fascinating book that is definitely able of holding the reader’s attention. Erotic scenes were explicit but functional and tasteful. No sexing for the sake of sexing but beautifully written scenes that didn't overshadow the plot or the characters. Plot, character and romance were all tuned in to each other and made the book a welcome addition to the other paranormal erotic romances that grace my shelves
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and hope Saskia Walker will treat us to more stories set in this world. My first taste of Saskia Walker's writing has definitely made me want to read more, especially her sexy contemporary work.
They were like two tomcats stalking one another. It made here want to roll on the ground and expose her femininity to them to find out which one would win in a squall.
Rating: 8.5 out of 10
Labels: Erotic Romance, great reads, Harlequin Books, Paranormal Romance, requested review, reviews, Saskia Walker
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- ► 2011 (163)
- Shiloh is giving away a Sony Pocket!
- Review: Patience - Lisa Valdez
- Rocky Mountain Haven is here to bring you a little...
- Requested Review: Rampant - Saskia Walker
- Challenge-Review: Glory in Death - J.D.Robb
- Requested Review: Sinful Surrender - Beverley Kend...
- Review: Coming Undone - Lauren Dane
- Challenge ARC-review: Random - Craig Robertson
- ▼ April (8)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (127)