December 1, 2009
4:01 PM | Edit Post
Release date: December 1, 2009
They might call her a force of nature, but becoming a national NASCAR driver took guts and hard work. And Shelly Green's race is only beginning. She needs a sponsor—someone who believes in her. But stylish, sophisticated Damon Tieri seems an unlikely choice. The handsome Ivy League banker lives in a world far different from hers….
Damon knows how badly Shelly needs this high-profile sponsorship. He admires her fighting spirit and her tempting blend of sweet and sexy. Yet putting his money behind her is the easy part. What will it take to get the driven competitor to trust in him? To give him the chance to finish first—with her?
Even though I have read a few category romances lately I have never written a full review for a category romance before (I plan to write a few mini-reviews on them) but there's a first time for everything and I must say Kristina Cook's FORCE OF NATURE is a perfect book for a first category romance review. Car racing fascinates me and I'm addicted to reading romance novels. This makes the NASCAR backdrop combined with this romance an ideal read!
FORCE OF NATURE is the 11th installment in the multi-author Harlequin NASCAR series: Hidden Legacy. It tells the story of Shelly Green, a female NASCAR driver, driving in the Nationwide Series but aspiring a seat in the Sprint Cup Series. In able to get that seat, she needs a sponsor who will provide funds for a second team car. Pebble Valley Winery owner Steve Clayton and his business partner Damon Tieri are looking for a "face" for the winery and Shelly has been on their radar. Then Shelly decides to take a chance and go directly to Steve Clayton to plead her case and reel in the sponsorship. Instead of Steve, she encounters Damon at the winery and sparks fly from the moment they meet. Unfortunately those sparks complicate the matter of the sponsorship and Damon and Shelly must now find a way to come to terms with their mutual attraction and solve the sponsorship thing without causing speculations.
Damon and Shelly are total opposites both in background and in personality but they have their drive and determination in common. Damon is a successful businessman, he is cautious and oozes quiet charm. Outwardly he seems quite happy with his life but inside he longs to break free from his family's expectations and wishes. He has fallen into a routine and Shelly brings in a fresh wind that sets his world upside down.
Shelly is successful NASCAR driver, she's impulsive, competitive, vivacious, sharp-witted and outspoken. She has a personality that draws people to her like a magnet and had this effect on me as a reader too. Her childhood was far from easy with a runaway dad and an alcoholic mother who wasn't really there for her but she has fought her way to success regardless.
For a relatively short book there was a lot going on and there were quite a few secondary characters. Most of them were likeable characters and even Shelly's mom, who was selfish, annoying and immature and whom I really didn't like for most part of the book, got her act together and earned my sympathy in the end. I loved the team surrounding Shelly and am curious to know more about some of the characters who have their own stories in this series.
FORCE OF NATURE is a lovely, fast-paced read with likeable, excellently fleshed out characters and a plot that was very well written considering the limited page count. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it was perfect for a few hours of reading. I read it in almost one sitting because I really liked Shelly and Damon and couldn't tear myself away from their story. It was so fast-paced I just flew through the pages and before I knew it I was at the end. It was an ending exactly how I like them: really sweet and a little bit emotional. The writing is fluent, crisp and snappy. And even though there are no real explicit steamy scenes I can't say I missed them. The characters, the instant attraction and the developing feelings between them satisfied my love for romance and I am definitely ready for more of Ms. Cook's contemporary writing.
If you love NASCAR and you love romance, with FORCE OF NATURE Kristina Cook gives you a book that will fit perfectly into your reading needs!
Rating: 8.0 out of 10
Labels: ARC-review, category, Contemporary Romance, Harlequin Books, Harlequin NASCAR, Hidden Legacies Series, Kristina Cook
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- ► 2011 (163)
- ► 2010 (128)
- ARC-review: Lead Me On - Victoria Dahl
- On My Wishlist (#3)
- Review: Armed and Dangerous: Luke - Cheyenne McCra...
- In My Mailbox (#5) - The Christmas-2009 Edition
- Review: Undercover - Lauren Dane
- ROOB Requested Review: Untraceable - Laura Griffin...
- Winter-Wonderland 2009
- WTF on the Julia Latham covers, Avon?
- On My Wishlist (#2)
- In My Mailbox (#4)
- On My Wishlist (#1)
- 100+ Reading Challenge 2010
- Erotica Reading Challenge 2010
- In Death Reading Challenge
- In My Mailbox (#3)
- Contemporary Romance Reading Challenge 2010
- ARC-review: Force of Nature - Kristina Cook
- ▼ December (17)
- ► 2008 (127)