August 1, 2010
9:39 PM | Edit Post
So a quick update post on how the spur of the moment Read-a-Thon went.
To be honest I'm a little bit disappointed in myself. I spent less time reading than I had planned. Sometimes this was due to unexpected stuff, like hubby feeling under the weather and me having to spend 2 hours doing grocery shopping by myself or sleeping through the alarm this morning and losing about 4 extra hours to read but mostly I have only myself to blame because I couldn't stay away from Twitter, was distracted by the Hungrian Grand Prix (Formula 1 racing) on television and simply not concentrating on the reading enough. Still I didn't do bad because where I normally read about 5-8 books in a month this weekend I read 5 books so I have to be satisfied with the little victory of that. And I also read some requested reads and ARCs which gives me some breathing space this coming month as I have a few more to tackle before the beginning of September, next to the daunting Mt. TBR of the books I own and buy...
Still I only finished 2 full length books, the other 3 books were novellas of ranging between 80 and 120 pages. I know these are books too but still I have trouble classifying them in the same category as full-length books of around 300 pages.
Here's the list of books I read, they'll all be reviewed in due course (sometime this month depending on which request/ARC it is and on some other reviews I have to write and some that are already lined up).
01. Full Disclosure by Cari Quinn
02. A Little Bit Wild by Victoria Dahl
03. A Hollywood Affair by Sally Royer-Derr
04. Ex Appeal by Cari Quinn
05. Whirlpool by Vivian Arend
started Naked Dragon by Annette Blair
I was blown away by the Cari Quinn's Full Disclosure and Ex Appeal. They were an unexpected treat during this read-a-thon weekend and I hope to read much more of her contemporary work in the future
The historical by Victoria Dahl was my first taste of her historical work and all I can say is that I prefer her contemporary work but I did enjoy A Little Bit Wild
A Hollywood Affair was a very tough read for me. The book was well-written and fast-paced but the subject of it was something that was so not to my liking that I had a lot of trouble reading this book. I'll explain more in detail in my upcoming review of it.
I closed the read-a-thon with a great read, Whirlpool is the second book in the Forces of Natures series by Vivian Arend and though I had trouble with the pace of Tidal Wave (it's predecessor), I flew through Whirlpool and enjoyed every page of it. Once again, well done Viv!
That's it for now, I am going to finish the review I left hanging when I started the read-a-thon on Friday.
And speaking of reviews FYI as of tomorrow my reviews will be having a slightly different lay-out as I am fusing the lay-out of my QnD-reviews and my full reviews together a bit in preparation of closing down my QnD Romance Reviews blog in the near future. Because it's not really working like I had envisioned so I've decided to do the QnD reviews here on Pearl's World of Romance, so all my reviews will be kept in the same place. I hope you all will like the new format and the future move of the QnD reviews to PWOR.
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- ► 2011 (163)
- Double Review: FULL DISCLOSURE & EX APPEAL by Cari...
- Quotes-Post: COMING CLEAN by Inez Kelley
- ARC-review: COMING CLEAN by Inez Kelley
- QuicknDirty-Review: NAKED DRAGON by Annette Blair
- QuicknDirty Review: COMING UNDONE by Stephanie Tyl...
- Review: STICK SHIFT by Lissa Matthews
- QuicknDirty Review: UNDER THE GUN by HelenKay Dimo...
- Shadows At Midnight Quotes
- Review: The Darkest Lie by Gena Showalter
- ARC-review: Whirlpool by Vivian Arend
- Requested Review: A Hollywood Affair by Sally Roye...
- Review: Tidal Wave by Vivian Arend
- ARC-review: A Little Bit Wild by Victoria Dahl
- ARC-review: Corralled by Lorelei James
- Read-a-Thon wrap-up and a reviewing FYI
- ▼ August (15)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (127)