July 19, 2010
8:00 AM | Edit Post
At long last, Kendra Kellogg has found her sister—but she’s no closer to filling the gaps in her past. The magick that brought them together makes them targets for dark mages intent on finishing what started with their mother’s murder.
As if her life wasn’t chaotic enough, in barrels the one thing she doesn’t expect, Max de La Vega. He’s six-and-a-half-feet of cocoa-brown alpha male. He’s strong, intelligent, sexy and intense. Everything she’d wanted in a man. And he scares the hell out of her. Still healing from a disastrous past relationship, she wonders if she’ll ever have that kind of forever.
The next in line to run his jaguar jamboree, Max is unused to hearing “no”. Once he knows what he wants, he assumes he’ll get it. And he wants Kendra. She deserves happiness and it’s his mission to give it to her.
When dark mages attempt to steal her magickal energy, Max’s cat agrees with the man—Kendra is his to protect and he will stop at nothing to keep her safe. She can push him away as hard as she likes, he’s not going anywhere.
Kendra Kellogg is an extremely skillful witch and a teacher. She’s quick-witted and strong-willed, vivacious, straightforward, compassionate and a bit touchy. She’s also a fighter who protects the ones she cares about with fierce determination. Despite her strength and boldness there's an amount of vulnerability to her that softens her and makes her an amazing character. She doesn't quite know what to do with her attraction to Max and his interest in her. In the beginning I was curious about her past, eager to know what had happened with her ex to make her so cautious in her acceptance of Max's courtship. The explanation showed me a Kendra who's a warrior with a yearning to belong, to connect and to be loved, yet free to be whom and what she is.
Max De La Vega is lawyer and a powerful cat shifter. He’s next in line to head up his jaguar jamboree. Maxi is intense, alpha and sleek and smooth like the jaguar he is, oozing confidence without effort. He portrays the broody, dominant alpha male perfectly but he is not overbearing or controlling. He is drawn to Kendra from the very first moment he lays eyes on her.
(…) Max de La Vega. He’s six-and-a-half-feet of cocoa-brown alpha male.
This description of Max in the blurb immediately caught my eye! And I wondered if he was going to be another one for my favorite heroes list? Let me tell you that after reading first sex scene the answer to this question is a wholehearted YES!
I really liked the way Lauren Dane build up this story and the relationship between Max and Kendra. Unlike the quick, almost instant romance and sexual play in TRINITY, this one was more gradual, Max had to work to get Kendra where he wanted. And he took his time, wouldn't be rushed, not even by her. And all the while the sexual chemistry between them is off the charts! It’s sizzling from page one and scorching when they both give into it. Also, as with TRINITY the playful banter and teasing between the main characters is one of the things I liked best in this book. It gave it that humorous feel I adore in my reads. Even during sex they kept the teasing banter going. Loved that!
REVELATION has some of the best secondary characters I’ve read in a while. Max’s dad charmed me, Max’s mom had me in awe and Max’s siblings are a mixed bunch of likeable and unlikeable characters but they all contributed to this awesome book and it’s plot. I was thrilled to see Galen, Renee and Jack again and I absolutely and completely loved the sisterly bond between Kendra and Renee. Their bond was strong despite having spent years apart by the separation their father caused.
I went into REVELATION hoping the cliffhanger TRINITY ended on would be tackled in a satisfactory way and it soon was, though not very early in the story. After the wrap-up of the cliffhanger some developments raised new questions and I was curious to see if how these loose ends were going to be tied up. I was very satisfied with the ending of REVELATION and it left enough open to guarantee enough fodder for another De La Vega Cats book and I’m already looking forward to it even if I don’t have a clue whose book it would be. Gibson maybe? Because this De La Vega brother who is the jamboree’s Bringer (of justice and law) totally intrigued me. He had a scene near the end that definitely put him in my line of vision and I hope he'll find his own stubborn, difficult woman to protect in a future De La Vega Cats installment.
The dialogues, characterization and plot drew me in completely. Once you start reading the easy dialogues set a nice fast pace, the plot keeps you curious for more and the strong characters, both primary and secondary, keep you engaged in a way you don't want to let them go. I loved the way the sexy times alternated with Kendra's back-story (mainly), information on witchcraft and magic(k) and the plot. A plot that had some turns I kind of saw coming and yet they surprised the heck out of me when the things I suspected actually happened. And there were some things in the plot that I really didn’t see coming and also surprised the heck out of me. I like to be surprised!
I couldn’t help but notice that, as with the Federation Series and with the Brown Siblings series, the first book in the series is centered on the m/f/m ménage and the second is a strong m/f relationship. I like that and wonder if this will remain a recurring thing in future (new) series too. It does kind of offer something for everyone. I personally like both tropes, as long as the romance, plot and sex is good…either ménage or plain m/f works for me.
REVELATION totally caught me by surprise and turned out to be an awesome read! The plot and its twists and turns, the characters and their development, the beautiful and at times surprising romance rife with intensity and some very hot sexing, it all came together to create a perfect read and have me desperate for more in the world of the De La Vega cats.
Though I have one complaint, this book is getting the perfect score from me. My complaint? I didn't get that office/desk scene Lauren Dane dangled in front of me through this quote:
Max: "Have I ever shared this recurring fantasy I've had about you, me and my desk?"If I had gotten that particular scene I would've been very tempted to give this book an 11!
Max: "I walked into the building when I smelled my lovely Kendra. I needed to make my way here to rub myself all over her."
He held a hand out to her, helping her up. “Come on then.” He sighed dramatically. “Clearly, you’re a nympho and need some of my special medicine for it.”
She grabbed his lapels and dragged him closer, tiptoeing up to whisper in his ear. “I want you to mark me again. On the inside of my thigh.” Their energy reverberated, humming, vibrating until she nearly came from it.
“I want to lick you until you say my name. You know how you do it, stuttering, breathless, like a sob. It makes my c#ck hard. Let’s go home right now (…)”
10 out of 10
Labels: ARC-review, De La Vega Cats Series, Lauren Dane, Paranormal Romance, perfect reads, reviews, Samhain Publishing
Nice to meet you!
- 39, married to my real life romance hero, addicted to TV shows, reading romance novels and Twitter. I'm a chronic (e)book hoarder and my absolute favorite genres within romance fiction are contemporary romance and romantic suspense, but I don't shy away from historical, paranormal or erotic romance either. Even the occasional (urban) fantasy romance, futuristic and sci fi romance may make it to my Mount TBR. This is my corner of the world wide web where I let you know what books I'm hoarding, reading and reviewing.
Reviews by Rating
Reviews by Genre
Reviews by Type
Reviews by Publisher
- Samhain Publishing (65)
- Berkley Publishing (56)
- HQN Books (40)
- Kensington Publishing (40)
- Ellora's Cave Publishing (34)
- Pocket Books (29)
- Bantam Dell (25)
- HarperCollins Publishers (24)
- St Martin's Press (24)
- Grand Central Publishing (20)
- Ballantine Books (19)
- Harlequin Books (16)
- Carina Press (15)
- Self-Published (12)
- Dorchester Publishing (11)
- Signet Eclipse (10)
- Turquoise Morning Press (5)
- MIRA Books (4)
- Noble Romance Publishing (4)
- Loose ID Publishing (3)
- HCI Books (2)
- The Wild Rose Press (2)
- Cerridwen Press (1)
- Etopia Press (1)
- Excessica Publishing (1)
- Lachesis Publishing (1)
- Liquid Silver Books (1)
- Red Rose Publishing (1)
- SourceBooks (1)
- Total-E-Bound Publishing (1)
- Vanguard Press (1)
Powered by Blogger.
On My TBR Shelf
- Unforgivable - Laura Griffin
- Snapped - Laura Griffin
- Darkness at Dawn - Elizabeth Jennings
- Sizzle and Burn - Alexis Grant
- No Mercy - Lori Armstrong
- Animal Magnetism - Jill Shalvis
- Crazy for Love - Victoria Dahl
- Kink - Saskia Walker/Sasha White
- So Sensitive - Anne Rainey
- Dark Taste of Rapture - Gena Showalter
- The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter
- Vampire in Atlantis - Alyssa Day
- Vampire Dragon - Annette Blair
- Captive Spirit - Anna Windsor
- Chosen by Blood - Virna DePaul
- Rebel - Zoe Archer
- Stranger - Zoe Archer
- A Taste of Desire - Beverley Kendall
- Mistress by Midnight - Maggie Robinson
- To Desire a Devil - Elizabeth Hoyt
- To Tame a Dangerous Lord - Nicole Jordan
Digital TBR Next
- Driven - Jayne Rylon (reread)
- Shifting Gears - Jayne Rylon
- Beg Me - Shiloh Walker
- Tempt Me - Shiloh Walker
- Jazz Baby - Lorelie Brown
- Playboy Prankster - Pamela Britton
- Just Like That - Erin Nicholas
- Sweet Inspiration - Penny Watson
- Breathe - Donna Alward
- My Gigolo - Molly Burkhart
- Scent of Persuason - Nikki Duncan
- ► 2011 (163)
- Spur of the Moment 48-hr Read-A-Thon
- Another bookish trip!
- ARC-review: Revelation - Lauren Dane
- ARC-review: Talk Dirty to Me - Ginny Glass & Inez ...
- Review: Trinity - Lauren Dane
- Review: Jinxed - Inez Kelley
- Winner of Captive Spirit - Liz Fichera
- Double Review: Veiled Desire & Veiled Seduction - ...
- ARC-review: Insatiable - Lauren Dane
- ARC-review: The Missing - Shiloh Walker
- Review: Relentless - Lauren Dane
- Guestblogger+ GIVEAWAY: Liz Fichera talks about he...
- Hiatus and Winners of the Welcome Carina Week
- ▼ July (13)
- ► 2009 (134)
- ► 2008 (127)